How to make this recipe
Delicious lemon sponge with lemon curd filling!
This recipe makes one cake- you need two!
- 8oz of unsalted butter/margarine
- 8oz Caster Sugar
- 8oz self raising flour (sieved)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 lemon rind
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 jar (215g) Wooden Spoon Lemon Curd
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pot of double cream
- 2 oz icing sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a separate bowl
- Beat the eggs and vanilla extract together and add gradually to butter/sugar mix
- Spoon in the flour/baking powder and mix
- Once mixed add the lemon rind and 1 tsp of lemon curd.
- Pour mixture into lined baking tin
- Bake in 180 degrees oven for approx. 20 mins (until it springs back when pressed)
- While the cake is still warm squeeze the juice from the lemon over the cake.
- Whisk the cream and icing sugar together until smooth paste
- When the cakes are completely cooled- spread the cream and lemon curd onto one half and sandwich the two cakes. Use the remaining cream for the top of the cake.
- In the microwave, warm the lemon curd to make pouring consistency and drizzle over the top of the cake.
Purchase your lemon curd here: Bitter Sweet Lemon Curd